Heading into 2020 we expected businesses to be faced with many challenges.
Now, it’s clear that even the most cautious of predictions had underestimated how difficult the year would turn out to be.
The need of the hour is to digitize internal communications (IC) for remote, frontline, deskless and knowledge workers, through mobile-first communication tools.
This will also help with business continuity during and after the pandemic.
As we start off this decade, we expect to see the focus of IC shift towards clarity and practicality.
This is more prevalent in frontline industries that are witnessing a shift from the traditional, paper based forms of communication.
Secure digital communication tools, aligned teams and connecting distributed, remote and frontline workers are some of the key trends taking shape this year.
What follows is a brief overview of internal communications trends 2020.
1. Digital Transformation – Mobile-First Communication
According to a recent study, more than 77% of businesses categorize a digital workplace as a crucial priority.
A fragmented digital landscape and a large number of processes going online, makes it that much harder to identify a platform that helps every business.
A mobile intranet should be a central control unit to all tools within any digital workplace. To put it simply – it is an integration of multiple digital channels under one umbrella.
2. Give Your Employees a Content Experience
Some communications are worthy of an email or a long winded memo, but others can be delivered in more engaging ways.
Apps, videos and images offer an engaging way of communicating with your employees and make it more likely that they will pay attention to important issues.
Personalizing messaging is also gaining ground at the start of this decade.
3. Employee Experience – Turning Workers into Brand Advocates
Happy employees will share a lot about their work lives with their friends, and can be some of the most powerful advocates that your brand will ever have.
It’s well-known that word of mouth is a hugely effective marketing tool. Messages distributed by employees will get shared more than those distributed by the brand’s social media account.
Internal communications plays a huge role in creating a positive employee experience.
4. Security is the Prime Focus while choosing an Employee Communications App
In order for an employee communication app to be vetted by an IT manager, it has to have robust security related features.
An IT employee will most likely review the security features followed by how customizable the platform is. They will also look for integrations supported by the internal communications tool.
5. Gathering Input Internally
It’s hard for bosses, especially those in large or rapidly growing companies, to stay on top of what is going on within their businesses. Employee communications apps can make the job easier.
The advantage of a digital communications tool is the open feedback loop that it provides, where feedback flows instantly between employers and employees.
When your employees feel listened to they’ll be more productive and they’ll be more likely to be loyal too.
6. Make Productivity Easy
The practice in many frontline industries so far was to hand out timesheets that are actual paper sheets.
Forms, checklists and processes were all stored in huge paper files. Those paper backups are certainly useful to have, but they should be exactly that – backups.
Employee apps are now integrated with smart productivity apps, electronic calendars and easy-to-follow workflows.
7. Collaboration Breeds Success
Internal communication isn’t all about upper management sending messages to frontline workers.
Having a clear, moderated and logged communications channel for workers to communicate with their peers helps them and protects your business interests.
Keeping your internal communications in one place helps foster a spirit of communication and collaboration and makes your employees feel like they are working towards a clear brand mission.
Choose the Right Tools to Empower Your Workforce
The IC space is evolving rapidly. Tools such as AI assistants, translations, and location-aware communication apps are becoming more readily available and more user-friendly by the day.
What’s more, with cloud-based apps there’s no need for a sophisticated in-house IT team to maintain them.
In business, the questions of “who, how and when” are all important, and a good internal communications app will make content easy to find, view and share internally.
To sum things up, internal communicators are getting a seat at the table. Today, communications teams and communications strategies are being given a second glance. This is due to the fact that communications plays a key role in driving business and retaining good talent. Internal communications is also a driving force in creating a healthy work culture.
The mobile intranet is becoming more and more commonplace in today’s workforce. Mobile based employee communication tools are helping businesses loop in frontline workers. These tools are also pivoting to vehicles of crisis communications during crucial times. The employee communications app is here to stay, and is an inevitable part of the digital transformation of an organization!
Why Groupe.io is a Good Internal Communications Tool for Frontline Workers?
Groupe.io is a mobile-first, secure employee communication platform!
It is ideal in frontline industries with a large number of deskless workers. No email address is needed for onboarding.
Groupe rolls out in 24 hours and is Free for 100 users!
It not only facilitates seamless employee communication but also has the following benefits:
- Integration: With Groupe.io, you can integrate with your favourite external work apps (like Zoho, Salesforce, Google Drive, etc.) and shuttle between them on a single platform after a one-time and secure biometric sign-on.
- Productivity: Built-in productivity tools give Groupe.io the added edge in the highly competitive market. While digital checklists ensure process and industry compliance, the task manager tool ensures daily tasks are completed on schedule and delays or errors are flagged at the correct time.
- Analytics: Groupe.io does not only facilitate communication but also helps you find patterns and draw insights from them. Its rich reporting abilities helps you monitor internal communication trends and make meaningful decisions.
- Engagement: With nifty engagement apps like birthday reminders, surveys, polls and recognition cards, it is simple to keep your workforce highly inspired and motivated all the time.
- Bots: Groupe.io’s AI-powered chatbots guide employees through work apps and provide context-specific reminders and information.
- Whitelabeling: You can brand the app as yours and even customize apps according to your requirement.